Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mother of the Year!






Yes, that's me! I should be mother of the year. How many other mothers tape broken lollipop sticks back together? Really it's more like this...I'd do anything to stop the crying and whining, even if it's only in two minute increments.

A few days ago my "Mom's Group" met at a local park. We've spent the winter at indoor playgrounds and pay-to-play facilities trying to be the best mother's we could possibly be. These play dates always turn out to be incredibly stressful, overwhelming events for me, I always leave feeling terribly guilty, burdened and exhausted, and typically covered in ranch dressing and orange soda. We thought it would be a nice way for our children to get some fresh air and enjoy some of the wonders of nature. After carefully choosing the park, for it's safety features; least likely place for our children to get run over, or escape from, etc., we embarked on an hour of fun. We spent that hour like the border patrol- walking the perimeter of the park, checking our cell phones for the time- wishing for our watch to be up. Not only did we not want our children to escape, but we needed to make sure their cheeks didn't touch the drinking fountains, and their boy parts didn't touch the toilet bowl, and they used hand sanitizer before they ate their apples.

Now I ask this question, how long do you have to stay at the park, before you can say "you went to the park"? Is it 20 minutes, is it 30, or a whole hour or more? As mothers, must we beat ourselves up trying to be "Mother of the Year", comparing ourselves to everyone else, afraid if we don't take our children to the park everyday, that we will be considered bad mothers?

Last night, after a crazy day, and evening, I did something I rarely do, at 10 o'clock - well past every one's bedtime, including my own , I lay in bed with all five of my boys and read stories front to back and back to front, over and over again. For the first time all week, I was overcome with motherhood, and the emotions that go with it. I wasn't stressed, or overwhelmed, I wasn't worried that someone would get run over, or catch the swine flu, and I didn't care what anyone else thought, I didn't watch the clock to see if it had been long enough. I simply basked in the love of my children.

3 comments:

  1. This seems silly posting a comment to my wife's blog but also felt that is was a husbands duty. Yes, Kristin should be the mother of the year, although this seems bias and probably is to some extent but Sweetheart, you truly are an amazing mother, wife and best friend. I can just take a typical "day in the life" of my wife and here is how I see your day. You get up to the alarm clock at 6am, much too early for me and you go downstairs to get "two" cups of coffee, one for you as you hop on our bedroom treadmill and begin your 5K and one for me so I can exercise through osmosis. As I watch the news and you run, we here one by one our 5 boys rise to each morning. First, Ricky, now a 5 year old who can't seem to do anything until he is fed, then Tysen, our oldest at 11 who thankfully can feed hiself now, then the twins who are much like Ricky and need cereal, not in a few minutes but RIGHT NOW. As we begin the journey downstairs I watch you feed each of the 4 kids who are awake, then slowly Marshall follows, who always seems to be at his usual pace (very slow). We enjoy our cup of coffee together with what would seem to be a quiet time with all 5 kids eating, not in our house, it seems that with 5 boys eating the noise is louder than usuall. It's become pretty normal anymore and your patients are phenominal. Once the older 2 are off to school you clean up and then really begin the day. Here is how I see it; Clean up after breakfast, dress the twins, begin the laundry, we have plenty, vacuum, dust, and mop. Then lunch time, yep you begin the morning routing all over at lunch time. After cleaning up after lunch and changing diapers you put the twins down for your "Glory Hours" all two hours without constant complaining, whining and fighting between these adorable little dudes. Here is where I see you have two full hours of bliss. You continue laundry, folding and putting away clothes, cleaning the boys bedrooms and making beds. You somehow find time to fulfill your church duties/volunteer work, school functions, helping me with work, grocery shopping, errand running and then being home just in time to get snacks to our awaking twins. Then the boys get home from school and of course need snacks as well. Once this mess is cleaned up it's dinner prep time, eating, and more cleaning. Then it's play time with the kids, wrestling, games, baseball in the yard, football, swinging the kids, etc... Then, bath time, once the baths are done and the new mess cleaned up you have begun this "Reading" time which the 3 younger boys adore. Finally, bedtime and usually by 9:00pm your day of kids is complete and you can then enjoy the rest of your evening with peace and quite. Here is where we have our quality time of watching DVR of American Idol, Dancing with the Stars or just a movie. My favorite time of day is about 9:30pm when I watch you fade to sleep knowing just why you fall asleep at 9:30 on the dot most every night. I know I don't say it often enough but I appreciate you each and every day and my feelings for you are so much more than the word love that you overwhelm me just by being you. It would be presumptuous to say you are "The" mother of the year but knowing what you do for our family each day, I'm ok with being presumptuous. You are our Mother of the Year! I'm glad you found an outlet to write about our sometimes crazy family life and hope this brings some entertainment value to your friends. I know as I read your blog I'm reminded of the humor in our family life. I'm proud of you and hope you continue writing and will certainly look forward to your next blog.

    With all of my love,

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well not only will the husband respond, but so will the daughter :)

    All I can say is that I have watched and learned what type of mother you are over these last couple of years, and all though I haven't known you my whole life, I do have to say I'm very happy that you are my step mom. To be completely honest, I don't even see you as a step mom, just mom. I have seen everything you do on a day to day basis, and I don't know how you do it. So I would have to say, coming from one of the kids, I definitley give you mom of the year. I have learned and grown from you in these last couple of years more than you will know. You were always my friend and have always been there for me when I needed you from day one. On top of that not only were you my friend, but you really have been another mom to me. You are kind, caring, funny & an all around great person. And if taking care of 5 boys doesn't get you the mom of the year award, then I don't know what will! But like I said, even without taking the boys to the park, or going out to lunch with me, you still deserve the mom of the year award! And anyone who says different, has definitley not spent a day at this house! :)

    Love,

    Meg

    ReplyDelete